Friday, June 27, 2008

My destiny

Who am i? What do i want to be in the future?

Actually i'm interested in becoming a civil or environmental engineer.
So why do i want to be a civil or environmental engineer?

Why a civil engineer?
Civil engineering. It deals with the design, construction and maintenance of the physical and natural built environment. Infrastructure, skyscrapers, etc.
Maybe i have been influenced by my father since young. Like the chinese cheng yu. Forgot what is it, lol. My father is a land surveyor and at times i will help him take measurements of buildings.
Sometimes i wonder, how are buildings constructed and how can it withstand the weight of so many people and furnitures on it without collapsing?
In a country where land is sparse, skycrapers and HDB flats are extremely important. Infrastructure are also very important as it facilitates movement of resources and encourages business making. So if i were to become a civil engineer, playing a part in constructing all these buildings and infrastructure, my role in this society will be crucial.
At times, i will tune into the Discovery Channel to watch documentaries. About the september 11 collapse of the world trade center, etc. It will go on to investigate how the buildings collapsed and what went wrong. These documentaries really interest me so i guess this might be my future. I strongly feel that the maintenance of buildings and infrastructure is an important job. Several lives will be lost because of such accidents occurring.
Designing of buildings thrills me too. Imagine that you are given the opportunity to design a building and live in it. You will definitely make it comfortable and suiting to your taste and wants. In my opinion, the design of the IR is very beautiful. So i will want to be involved in making my country a gorgeous place.

Why an environmental engineer?
Environmental engineer. It's about improving the environment, providing healthy water, air and land. Water and air pollution control, recycling and waste disposal. Implementing policies, creating new items which will aid in conserving the environment.
I have a lot of experience of dealing with environmental projects from my CCA earthwatch. I attended several workshops which taught me the most ideal method in grabbing the attention of the people. Using these knowledge, i was able to hold activities during the Recycling Week and Earth Day successfully. The success in these projects drove me on and slowly developed a pro-environmental attitude in me. It stirred my interest in environmental engineering too. I became more conscious of the country's environmental efforts and more aware how one can play such an important role in saving the struggling environment. The role of an environmental engineer in today's society is very important. The earth is dying. The global temperature and sea level is rising. It has indirectly led to several natural disasters occurring. The most recent is the Myanmar earthquake. Therefore, i will be able to make a huge difference if i becomes an environmental engineer.

I really admire the works of an engineer. An engineer can change the world. I love the TV series Heroes. It's about saving the world. I feel that being an engineer will give me the ability to save the world and slow down its depletion. We will want to ensure that our younger generation can continue living in this world comfortably and the earth will be able to provide for them. An environmental engineer can assure them of resources to stay alive while a civil engineer will provide a secure and prosperous place to live in. We are on an Amazing Race against time and perhaps the end of world, some may say. An engineer can do something to help and so i will want to become an engineer. I have found my destiny.

No comments: